Food Safety

At Forbes Shire Council we play an active role in protecting the health of our community, including by helping make sure local food businesses follow high standards so the food they sell is safe to eat and doesn't make people sick.

Our Environmental Health Officers regularly advise and inspect food businesses including restaurants, cafes, child care centres, school canteens, kiosks, mobile food vans and temporary food stalls in the Forbes Shire.

If you feel a food business is selling unsafe food or is not clean, please contact Council's Environmental Health team on 02 6850 2300 to report.

Information on current Food Recalls can be found at Food Standards Australia New Zealand.

What is a food business?

Any person selling food or operating stalls or mobile vans used for selling food for human consumption, including any produce, fruit and vegetables or pre-packaged food, is deemed a 'food business' under the Food Act 2003 (NSW) (the Act). This includes not-for-profit organisations. In addition to your typical restaurant and takeaway shop, the following may also be a food business if they sell food: home industries, chemists, cinemas, corner stores, food transporters, caterers, video shops, petrol stations, public swimming pools and sport facilities, as well as food sellers at temporary events such as festivals, fairs, markets and fetes.

The sale of food includes where food is provided as part of a service, is covered by an entry fee, offered as a prize or reward, or where samples are offered to promote a product.

Legal Requirements

Food safety in NSW is legislated under the Food Act 2003 and the Food Regulation 2015 which require compliance with the Food Standards Code, including the Food Safety Standards developed by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ).

Visit the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website for information and to see the Food Safety Standards.

Fitout requirements for food business premises

There are certain requirements for premises to be used for preparation or sale of food. See for example AS4674-2004 - Construction and Fitout of Food Premises (available for purchase from Standards Australia).

Registration with Council

All retail food businesses in the Forbes Shire must be registered with Council and are subject to routine health and hygiene inspections. Please make sure Council has up-to-date information about the owner and contact details of your food business.

Scores on Doors

Council supported the roll-out of the NSW Food Authority Scores on Doors Program across the Forbes Shire, so the community can see the food safety inspection results of local food businesses, providing another incentive for businesses to maintain high levels of food safety.

Food Safety Supervisors

Most food businesses in NSW are required by law to appoint at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor and penalties may apply if your business does not comply with the requirements. For more information visit the Food Safety Supervisor section of the NSW Food Authority website.

A copy of the Food Safety Supervisor certificate must be kept on the food premises at all times and our Environmental Health Officers can ask to see it. There must be at least one Food Safety Supervisor for each food premises and this person cannot be a Food Safety Supervisor for more than one premises. If a person or company operates multiple outlets, a Food Safety Supervisor will be required for each outlet. The Food Safety Supervisor must be trained by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) approved by the NSW Food Authority. Not all training organisations that run food hygiene courses are approved by the NSW Food Authority to issue Food Safety Supervisor certificates. See the list of approved training organisations for Food Safety Supervisors. Refresher training is required every 5 years.


Temporary Food Stalls

For the health of our community, Council requires all temporary food businesses to apply for permission to operate at events in our Shire. Council's Environmental Health team regularly inspect food businesses at local markets, festivals and other events.

Complete an Application To Sell Food and return it to Council's Health and Environment team at least 2 weeks before the event. Approved operators need to follow the NSW Food Authority's Food Handling Guidelines for Temporary Events.

Mobile Food vending

To register to sell food at a temporary location in the Forbes Shire  please contact the Manager Property and Investment to discuss registration on (02) 6850 2300.